DIY might be tempting but, as far as housing is concerned, you really don’t want to find yourself in the position of having to give up your time and effort to get an unprofessional result.
You would also have to deal with safety and legal implications and, if you make a mistake, it might end up costing you more money and trouble than it would have had if you had hired a skilled builder. However, finding the right builder with experience in the work you require, at a competitive rate, is no mean feat.
So, how can you find the best builder for your property?
Here are 10 questions you should know how to answer when hiring a builder:
1. Is the builder in a trade body – the Federation of Master Builders, the Guild of Builders and Contractors, or the National Federation of Builders?
2. Has the builder got references?
3. What is the builder’s experience and what are their qualifications?
4. Does the builder use sub-contractors?
5. Does the builder have insurance in case something goes badly wrong?
6. How long is the price guaranteed for(always ask for a detailed quote)?
7. Do you require substantial work? If yes, draw up a contract.
8. How are you going to divide up the work and what are the stage-payments?
9. Does the work meet building regulations, according to a council inspector?
10. Are you keeping the final payment until the work is complete and snags rectified?
These are just a selection of the things you should pay attention to when hiring a builder. Therefore, imagine how complicated it can get if you are a property manager and have to find many contractors for many properties, all at the same time.
Luckily for you, Arthur can help. Arthur’s online property management software connects skilled contractors with property managers across the UK. Arthur resolves the property manager’s question, ‘how do I find a contractor quickly and easily?’ and the contractor’s question, ‘How do I get more work?’
Whether you are a property manager, landlord, letting agent, tenant or contractor, Arthur is the answer to your problems. Find out more.
If you are a property manager, property owner, landlord or letting agent, your business will save time and money by using Arthur. Try out the free Arthur Demo today to see how!